Monday, November 21, 2016

The symptons

12 months ago while indoor rock climbing something  'went' in my hip. it was a horrible sensation of something giving way, without the sharp pain that you'd expect to follow.
At the time I was pretty active. I played football twice a week, I climbed. I ran a half marathon a year, and a couple of 5ks every month. I cycled 12ks to work- when the sun was out. you get the picture.
Over the next ten months I carried on trying to do these but quite literally these became a pain in the butt. I tried resting, and making a comeback... and the same.
I went to a physio, who diagnoses piriformis syndrome. it didn't go away.
I went to another physio practice and had session with different physios. Still no dice.
Over the next ten months I tried all of the exercises, muscle looseness and rest periods going but still no dice. 
Eventually, knowing that my company had private health scheme that could provide some free physio I made an appointment with a consultant.
He did a few mobility checks and put me forward for an mri scan, with contrast injection.
This resulted in diagnosis for a labrum tear, as well as some irregularities around the Femur?
The consultant explained that around the main cup of the hip joint, is another lip of cartilage which is called the labrum. This could be repaired surgically, although unfortunately I would have to be referred to another consultant who specialised in this technique.
Fast forward a couple of weeks and I meet Mr Thomas who explains that I have FAI cam impingement which has caused the wear to the labrum and to the hip. He goes on to tell me that he's performed around 400 of these procedures before.
I am now suffering from dull pain which makes its way right the way down my leg bone for the majority of my day. The pain is accentuated by sitting down in my 9-5 job.
'when can you start? ' I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment